Last year, as I was settling into my apartment, I made an effort to work some of the untouched kits and projects I had in my stash. This one I bought a few years ago when I thought aprons would make good presents. I was intrigued by this Herrschners kit that used serviettes and a simulated flour sack. The flour sack was simple a rectangle of cotton which I managed to lose in the process of moving my kits into their new storage space. I therefore cut a piece of calico to the right size (36"x24") and hemmed the sides and top.
The long rectangles from the serviettes are joined together and attached to form a tie waist. Finally, a range of fruit is embroidered along the bottom, using iron-on transfers provided in the kit.
My younger granddaughters helped me cut out some of the pieces for this project. I thought it a bit big and wanted to make a smaller version, but Niamh liked it as it is and laid claim to it - identifying it at once with Little House on the Prairie.