Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Kwiki slippers

Another pattern I bought online on spec earlier this year was Kwiki Slippers from Patternfish.I have been very grateful for this purchase over the last couple of months. It was a perfect pattern to carry in my bag and pull out in any situation. After the first pair I could knit without referring to the pattern, adjust the size and produce a pair of slippers in a matter of a couple of hours.

The first pair I knitted were to match the cardigan and hat for my Canberra daughter. I didn't manage to photograph those.

I then had a go at knitting an oversized pair in Murano - and felting them. I simple made them enormous, put them through the washing machine three times

with added boiling water - then left them to dry wedged in an upside down pair of my shoes.
















As unorthodox as that was, it worked and they were claimed by a good friend.

From there I knitted pairs for the grandchildren. The mohair ones were popular for the look, but not the feel, so I made additional pairs using Murano - the manly brown-black mix for Fionn, a rainbow mix for Brigid and a blue mix for Veronica.





Niamh chose a very soft Moda Vera Flammone, 50% wool, 50% acrylic, from my stash. I only had a single hank - 70 metres, and have been looking for a project to use it. It worked really well  for slippers.




This is a highly successful pattern and one I can see myself using as a standby for a long time to come.












6 comments:

margaret said...

there will be lots of cosy toes come the winter with these to keep them warm

Jillian said...

Thanks Margaret. Our Winter is already upon us, so lots of use!

Monica said...

LOL, lots of toasty toes here! I am still looking for the right slipper pattern. I am very fussy!

Jillian said...

I have a whole book of untried slipper patterns, Monica, and shamelessly went for this simple as pie one from the Internet! I might go back and try some from the book. This pattern seved me well while spending long hours visiting the hospital.

Katherine said...

What a great idea to felt them too. Looks like a great pattern that you will get plenty of use from Jillian.

Jillian said...

Thanks Katherine. Yes, I love a pattern that I get value from by using over and over!