Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Big Egg Basket: Success

The Murano wool to replace the disaster basket arrived as I was heading off to Melbourne for 2 days, so I took it along with a large circular needle. I began the base of the large basket while awaiting my flight out of Adelaide.

I worked out the size and shape as I went along - casting on 25 stitches, increasing to 39, knitting straight for about 20 rows then decreasing at same rate as I had increased until I returned to 25 stitches, then picking up stitches all around the edge of the base.
It was a perfect project while away - I could pick it up and put it down at short notice and stitch without too much thinking. And, yes, I did have to correct for the slant by stitching into the back of the needle!
I cast off the rim of the basket and knit the handle while watching TV the evening I returned home two days later - perfect timing.

It seemed huge when finished. I wondered if I had overestimated the size. I liked the way the stripes played out, however, with that rim of blue around the top. When I ordered the extra ball to do this project I ordered colour CK23. Although CK 27 is my favourite so far I couldn't resist trying another colour to see the effect.

I felted the bag the next morning, boiling it up first to get the heat,to cause the dye to run and blend a little, then adding the boiling water and the bag (in a pillowcase with a tennis ball) to the washing machine. I put it through the longest cycle twice.

 This time, I am pleased with the result - and so are the egg-collectors!


4 comments:

margaret said...

certainly this has paid off this time with the correct wool the basket is ideal, lets hope the chickens continue laying

Katherine said...

Looks fantastic! Love all those eggs sitting in it. My girls are laying like there is no tomorrow too.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Definitely looks like a nice soft place for those eggs! Looks great!

Jillian said...

Thanks Girls (human) for commenting. The basket has worked out well. Also thanks girls (chicken) for continuing to lay for my daughter!