Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Embroiderers' Guild Summer School

Last week I attended a two-day class at the South Australian Embroiderers' Guild Summer School. This time I decided to take a step outside my usual Alison Snepp class, and enrol in something completely new. I went for Alison Cole's class on goldwork and stumpwork, Siennese Illuminated Treasure.


The classes are held at Hosanna Heights, in the Eastern suburbs of Adelaide, a property that was once a monastery and now houses international students. It has lovely grounds and buildings.

Some students and teachers live in for the Summer School, but I just attended during the day.



There were fourteen of us in the class. I was too focused on learning to work with such small scale items to take photos during the classes. I was also a bit preoccupied with a plumbing crisis we were having at home, and in the end left the class at midday on the second day. Alison was very understanding, and her instructions were pretty clear, so I didn't have too much difficulty figuring out what to do.


This is the first photo I took, a day after the class. The yellow is felt - padding for the leaves and flowers to come. The fawn is gold kid. The red berries are needle-lace over padding and kid.

We had a choice of working on black delustred satin or parchment-coloured dupion. As you can see, I chose the latter.


One reason I only do one class at Summer School (it is possible to do two) is that I hate to end up with two demanding projects to finish at the very beginning of the year - and classes are rarely set up to finish a project. I have been working on this project as much as I can in the week since the class.


This is where I am now. I have found it challenging, especially couching all the tambour thread. Laying tambour thread around each sequin is an exercise in concentration and accuracy.


I am now working on the detached petals to add in the circles. I think that deserves a post all of its own.

I am pleased to have chosen this and given it my best shot. I don't think I am going to become a goldwork/stumpwork convert, but I have a lot of respect for those who do!






5 comments:

margaret said...

this is looking great, I have to admit to not like doing goldwork, when I did my City and Guilds that was one of the techniques I said I would never do again but I do admire what others do. Trust your plumbing is now sorted, what a shame it coincided with your class.

Jillian said...

Thanks Margaret. Yes, plumbing is sorted. It was stressful because we weren't sure if it was a problem from the building or just a routine blockage. Turned out to be routine. We had a bit of other stuff going on as well and I couldn't focus. All better now. I'm still not hooked on gold work!

Monica said...

Wow, it looks amazing, Jillian! Despite yours and Margaret's reservations, goldwork is still on my list of things to try.

I'm glad your plumbing is sorted. I find there are few home repairs that are as stressful as plumbing.

Jillian said...

It's definitely something worth trying, Monica. It is great to see it growing and the effects are beautiful. I'd like to find more uses for the work, other than a framed piece.

Katherine said...

Must hav been wonderful doing classes in such a lovely place. I havent tried this sort of stitching because I don't think I would really enjoy it but I love the effect.