Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Owl teacosy

I came across some terrific knitting patterns at PeriwinklePark on etsy.com, and bought three of them. I tried out the owl teacosy over the last few days using up bits of left over wool.

It is knitted by combining two dark coloured wools for the body of the owl and two light coloured wools for the breast. I used a wool and mohair mixture for the body and got the back done OK.

The body is a very clever shape, pulled in a bit to form ear shapes.
However, I ran out of the mohair part-way through the front, so had to improvise a bit. I figured it wouldn't matter too much if I made the change around and above the eyes.



The best bit is the eyes. The circles are created by knitting a straight piece and drawing up the stitches - so simple. The beak is simple too. Much of the charm is from the use of combinations of the basic colours to create the features.

I had to dig around a bit to find the eyes I knew I had somewhere. I found them eventually in my new button box created a couple of weeks ago!



The eyes were a lot of fun to create.







The colour change in the wool doesn't look too bad. It took a couple of days of knitting in between making a big batch of quince paste - a really fun, relaxing project.

3 comments:

Monica said...

That is fantastic, Jillian! What a great pattern.

DIAN said...

What a cute little tea cosy. I love the colours you hsve used and the eyes are amazing.

itsjustperi said...

I think you did an awesome job on your tea cosy :-)