Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mola

In January 2010 I enrolled in an Embroiderers' Guild of South Australia class for Mola embroidery. Unfortunately, there were not sufficient numbers for the class to run, so I have yet to learn the technique. Mola is an applique and reverse applique technique in which layers of different coloured cloth are cut to reveal the layer beneath, and the edges stitched down. Further shapes can be appliqued on top of any layer and embroidery worked to define or embellish.

Mola is worked by the Kuna Indians of San Blas Panama. I bought some small examples from the Museum of the Native American in Washington DC. Some of these I have made into two sewing work bags.

Bag One



 Bag Two



Since making these, I have discovered Rita Smith's Mola Art and Crafts website (http://www.molaartandcraft.com), and I have bought some fabulous Tshirts from there, and a molita that I hope to make into a larger bag. Rita packs and mails all over the world and keeps an eye on delivery to make sure things arrive. Her website is full of information about Mola Art and she has an excellent collection of collectable pieces.


The Tshirts are spectacular.




I have another four small molas from the Museum of the American Indian that I hope to make into another sewing bag .





I still hope to learn to stitch a mola one day!

No comments: